U.S.S. Allen M. Sumner DD-692
Korean War

Jeff Clevenger's Certificate from the deployment

Area of Operations Cruise Data report to Seventh Fleet

Korean War Commemorative Community

The Ship's Log
Cruise Book
Bill Wunderlin's Photo Collection
Harold Jackson's Photo Collection
John Judd's Photo Collection

The Rescue of LT Johnson and ACAN Kennedy
USS Boxer (CVA-21) Action Report
USS Boxer (CVA-21) Deck Log of the rescue
USS Boxer (CVA-21) Deck Log of the return
Link to the KORWALD Loss Incident Summary

On 24 April 1953, SUMNER steamed out of Norfolk enroute to the Sea of Japan to join our forces then fighting the Communists in Korea. She entered the Mediterranean Sea 10 May and headed for a two day stop-over in Athens, Greece. Transited the Suez Canal, fueled in Aden, and stopped for liberty in Colombo, Ceylon. Here Commander Lynch was seriously injured in an automobile accident on 15 May 1953 and had to be returned to the United States for treatment. The Executive Officer, Lieutenant A. R. Olsen, took temporary command until the SUMNER arrived in Japan. A scheduled stop-over in Singapore was cancelled because of anticipated Communist demonstrations due to Queen Elizabeth's coronation. A short run was made to the Equator in order to observe the traditional ceremonies connected with that event. Adverse weather conditions and an approaching typhoon forced SUMNER to anchor in Manila Bay, Philippine Islands, for two days. Underway 5 June for Yokosuka, Japan, where she spent ten days before joining Task Force 77. In Yokosuka, Commander Stephen C. O'Rourke became Commanding Officer of the SUMNER on 11 June 1953.

For the next two months this vessel acted primarily as an anti-submarine screening vessel and plane guard for the USS BOXER, USS CORAL SEA, USS LAKE CHAMPLAIN and other large aircraft carriers whose planes made continuous air strikes in Communist held territory. At times Commander Destroyer Squadron 16, embarked in the SUMNER, assumed the duties of Screen Commander. Late one night an AD-4N, tail number 126944, of VC-35 Det. H piloted by LT Clarence R. Johnson suffered a power failure on takeoff and was forced to ditch forward of the BOXER. The SUMNER rescued the pilot, LT Johnson, and one crewmember ACAN D. G. Kennedy. The third crewman, AO1 Martin J. Wright, was never found. During this time she returned to Japan twice; once for liberty in Nagoya and once for a 10-day tender availability in Sasebo. Subsequent to the Korean Truce, she joined Task Force 95 for patrol duty off the Korean southern coast. After another short stay in Yokosuka, this vessel headed for her home port, stopping at Midway Island, Pearl Harbor, San Francisco, San Diego and Balboa enroute. Arriving in Norfolk on 27 October 1953.

Several weeks later SUMNER was ordered to patrol off Bermuda during a Big Three Conference of the United States, English and French governments.

Operational Assignments by Task Force

Task Force 77 (Carrier Operations) - Jun 10-Jul 16 and Aug 9-Sep 4
Task Force 95 (Coastal Patrol) - Sep 5-Sep 15
Task Force 96/TG 96.7 (ASW Operations) - Jul 17-Aug 8

If you can add additional details to the story of SUMNER in Korea please share it with us and send an E-Mail today!